Thursday, May 12, 2005

Another reason my kids will go to a private school

If anyone knows anything about Louisiana, you know that it is not known for being the pinnacle of educational standards (unless you want to learn the best way to produce a champion cock fighter). So it should come as no surprise that I have never even considered sending me kids to a public school. But I must admit that regardless of where we would have decided to live, my husband and I are adament that our kids would go to a private school or be homeschooled (but I'm learning that I just don't have the patience or disipline to teach the kids- heck, I don't have the patience or disipline to teach myself). We have many reasons why we feel this way and it seems that everyday I hear more news that further bolsters our decision. Today is no different.

Ten-year-old student Luke Whitson used his regularly scheduled recess time to read the Bible with a few friends on his school’s playground. After receiving a complaint from a parent, the school’s principal reportedly ordered the students to stop their activity, put their Bibles away, and cease from bringing their Bibles to school.

Come on. How can a child reading the Bible be offensive? I'll bet that same parent who filed a complaint would be the first person pitching a fit if another parent dared to ban any other book say "Harry Potter"*. My point is that I know that some Christians (not this one, though) find Harry Potter books to be very offensive. I think banning the Bible is just as narrow-minded as banning "Harry Potter".

Hat tip: Truth Peddler at Freedom of ...