Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Vomiting in now a misdemeanor?

Teen Charged With Vomiting On Teacher

Boy, I had no idea that being vomited on was considered assault. I have been assaulted many times then, both by my kids and by strangers. And the strangers were at work, too (no, I'm not a nurse). Once was as a tour guide at Oak Alley Plantation and once was as VIP hostess for Walt Disney World.

I guess that I am also lucky that I am not in jail now for all the times that I got sick on someone. (Within my family, my brother and I were known as the throw-up kids - a moniker that has now been gratefully been passed on my two nephews).

I always felt sorry for those that were sick. I know for a fact that no one wants to vomit in public, let alone ON someone.

But this is just further proof that we, as a society, are getting way too sensitive in regards to ourselves and too insensitive to the needs of others. This child needed sympathy, not scorn. How dare this teacher, whose care we place our children, not understand that. Anyone who has spent any amount of time knows that vomit and children go hand and hand. If he can't understand that, then he needs to find another profession.