Monday, June 20, 2005

My thoughts about polls

I loathe polls. Even those that seem to support my thoughts and opinions. Why? Because anyone can construct poll questions to get just about any result they want.

But what really burns me up is seeing internet poll results as support for an argument. C'mon. AN INTERNET POLL!!!!! It has made me realize how little so many people know about polling and statistics. Do you realize that I could probably concoct a polling questionnaire so as to get a large majority to agree that the sky is green. BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE THE SKY GREEN.

Polls mean nothing. Actually, less than nothing. Even under the best of circumstances, they can only provide a quick, somewhat blurry, picture of the current opinions of people. Ask the same questions tomorrow (heck, why wait - ask again as soon as you're are done the first time) and the answers will most likely be different. And polls never, never prove fact.