Friday, April 29, 2005

My thoughts on the environment

I am going to recycle this post. I was reminded of the subject when I saw Pat's post at Brainster's Blog this morning.

April 5, 2005: My brother sent me this article entitled "Report Tallies Hidden Costs of Human Assault on Nature" and asked me what I thought. Well, this was my answer.

I think of this the same way I think of global warming. It is a bunch of bunk. I would love to know how many of these "scientists" were crying "global cooling" 30 years ago? Also, what ever happened to their former "cause celebre" - the hole in the ozone layer.

I had a terrific geology professor at Nicholls who debunked much of the environmental myths. For one, the earth is far more harmful to itself than we are (look at the destruction and damage caused by one earthquake or tsunami or volcano). If these scientists would have been alive millions of years ago, they would have blamed the creation of the Sahara Desert and the extinction of the dinosaurs on humans, too. Yes, there is still extinction, but it was not started by humans and it won't end with humans, either

I do not believe in raping the land, but I don't believe in this pseudoscience of hysteria. In the hierarchy of the ecosystem, we are at the top of the food chain. We did not put ourselves there. God did. We should be responsible, yes, but not to the point of putting the environment above all else. Also remember that people who make money off the land, make money off the land. They are not going to put themselves out of business. I'm sure that there are some who lack foresight, but that is the case in every industry (and environmentalism is an industry, too). Here in the US, there are many protected forest lands (I think the amount is 2 acres per person. It could actually be more). Because of technology, we are able to do a lot for our environment and it is getting better daily. Keeping the public scared ensures them (the environmentalist) that they will continue to have a job.