Saturday, April 02, 2005

Don't take away my mascara!

You know the question...If you were stranded on an island, what would you take? Other than the obvious (food, water, ...), I would have to say my mascara and my perfume. There is nothing that can make me feel better than nice, long, lush lashes and smelling pretty (shallow and vain, I know. But that's me). Now I find out that there are some that want me to get rid of them.

As if women don't have enough to worry about, some activists are trying to expand the list to include our makeup drawer. This month, a conference held at Harvard Medical School by Hurricane Voices, an activist organization focusing on breast cancer, will warn women of the "dangers" presented by items from face lotion to perfume. Activists in California, meanwhile, are urging high school girls to throw out their "dangerous" cosmetics in "Operation Beauty Drop." In Europe, activists have convinced the government to ban the use of certain substances, known as phthalates, in cosmetics.

This article is a must read.