Monday, April 18, 2005

I can't believe what I heard

I was watching ABC coverage of the conclave (well, actually it was on as I was checking the internet) and I couldn't believe what I heard. I only wish I knew who said it. The talking heads were naming the cardinals as they entered the conclave and one of them said something like this:

What our viewers will notice is that, among these 115 cardinals, who are wearing what looks like women's garb, that there are no women. That is something the next pope is going to have to address.

I was disgusted by that. How disrespectful for one and pompous for another.

Then I read this article. I think it explains the above comment.

The night before the Catholic Cardinals were to begin their conclave to choose a new Pope, the U.S. broadcast network evening newscasts painted the role of women as the most important issue and gave a platform to left-wing church activist Joan Chittister. "The future of the church is now in the hands of 115 men. Some Catholic women find that offensive," ABC's David Wright asserted Sunday night in leading into a Chittister soundbite. Wright proceeded to showcase a woman upset that her unborn daughter cannot become a priest, before concluding: "Men and women may be equal in the eyes of God, but many Catholics say in the eyes of the church, there's still a long way to go." Wright gave a soundbite to a church defender, but not CBS's John Roberts who sandwiched two denunciation from Chittister around touting how "a new CBS News poll finds the majority of Catholics think the next Pope should admit women into the priesthood, let priests marry, and allow birth control." Plus, "52 percent of American Catholics think the church is out of touch."

Why do the Catholics need to have women priests? Is it just to satisfy feminists? Get over yourself! This is not a secular business that you can storm and run roughshod over in order to get your way. The Catholic religion does not revolve around making feminists happy.

Maybe they should read the Purpose Driven Life. The first sentence in particular:
"It's not about you."