Friday, April 29, 2005

Jane Fonda

For my entire life, I knew that my dad, a Vietnam veteran from the Navy, despised Jane Fonda. When I was younger, I didn't really understand. I couldn't understand why he refused to watch this seemingly sweet actress in the movie "9 to 5" or why he was not pleased that my P.E. teacher had us exercise to Fonda's aerobic tape (these were the only exposure that I had to her).

Well, dad, I haven't really told you this but I get it. I understand the deep-seated animosity held by those men and women who so bravely fought on the side of democracy and freedom while the Ms. Fonda betrayed them to the enemy. And even though she tried, almost successfully, to reinvent herself to a new generation in the 80s, she never changed.

This is even proven more with the release of her new book and book tour. NRO has an article about her supposed apology.

You may have heard that Jane Fonda apologized to Vietnam veterans in her current book. That's incorrect. She expressed "regret" for one photograph, but remains proud of her Radio Hanoi broadcasts, her efforts to achieve a Communist victory, and her attacks on American servicemen as war criminals. She never uses the word "apology.

I'm with you now dad. I will never support anything Hanoi Jane does especially knowing that she holds in contempt everything that I hold dear. All those times I rolled my eyes dad, I guess I WAS listening. And I can honestly say, "You were right."