Monday, April 18, 2005

Is Europe really so much better than America?

I don't think so. I realize this is anecdotal, but last week, the HGTV show "House Hunters" went "international." If you are not familiar with "House Hunters," the show follows a home buyer on the quest for a new house. The international version showed the housing market in Barcelona, Florence, Paris, London and Montreal. One thing these shows told me is that I would never want to have to buy a house overseas - not that I would want to anyway. It was unbelievable. For example, in Paris, to get a mortgage, you have to also get a physical. So if we had money but my husband was sick, we couldn't get a mortgage. In Florence, mortgages are rare. Most people don't buy a house until they can pay cash. In London, people can change the price of the house until you actually close on it. You get the picture.

Today, over at Lifelike Pundits, there is this post, which is further evidence that Europe is no better than America. I am tired of Europe being held up as an inspiration for America. Our ancestors certainly didn't want us to be like Europe. If it was so great, they would have stayed.