Thursday, April 13, 2006

Stop the racism already!

I was reading the April 17, 2006 issue of People and saw an article called "Spring Cleaning." As I perused the story, I thought how wonderful that these college students are giving up their spring breaks to help gut homes in the New Orleans area. Even though I am very aware of these kids coming here, it is wonderful that they are getting national recognition in a magazine with such a wide readership.

My heart continued to swell with pride until I read this:

For the young people, the trip has been an eye-opener. "We rode through the white neighborhoods and were shocked," says Brandi Gilbert, 21, a junior. "It doesn't even look like they were hit."

WHAT THE F***!!! DO NOT PLAY THE RACE CARD HERE! I CAN GUARANTEE THAT BLACK PEOPLE WERE NOT THE ONLY ONES AFFECTED! SHALL I BRING YOU TO MY GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE. HOW ABOUT MY OTHER GRANDMOTHER'S HOUSE. OR MY COUSINS' OR MY STEPSISTER'S, MY AUNTS', UNCLES', ETC - ALL OF THEM WHITE! NOT THAT THAT MAKES ANY DIFFERENCE!

Can you tell that I am hopping mad!!! This is ridiculous. We have trained our kids to look for racism everywhere. Hurricane Katrina didn't care what color or race or religion people in Louisiana and Mississippi were. You do no favors to people by constantly playing the race card. This happened to everyone and was not a social commentary. I'm just disgusted!

And why is People including this quote? Oh, silly me.