Sunday, April 23, 2006

New Orleans deserves what she gets

Immediately following Hurricane Katrina, despite all of the destruction and devastation, I was filled with some hope. I was excited by the prospect of a new New Orleans. I thought Katrina was a wake-up call to the citizens as to what corruption and graft can lead to. I thought they would see the path that the local politicians and leaders had lead them down. I thought they would realize that these politicians got their power from the citizens. And it seemed that for once they did understand.

There was such anger. Local call-in talk shows were filled with their calls. They couldn't wait to "Vote the bums out." All of them. No incumbent would be spared. As one caller said, "Even the occasional good one has to go."

It was with this in mind that I looked forward to the election. Sitting across the lake, unable to vote, but with a stake in it nonetheless, I couldn't wait to see a fresh start for the city. It was going to be nice to have leaders who were interested in cleaning up and fixing the city as opposed to people who were only interested in grabbing the brass ring in an all out power struggle.

And then - election day. I waited with baited breath at every news break as I went about my normal routine. But it soon became evident, as voters trickled in, that the anger was gone. How is it possible that with such an important election only 1/3 of the eligible voters voted! Not only that, but they voted for the incumbents!

Of course, my anger hasn't gone away. It has merely been redirected towards the idiots living in New Orleans. Do you not understand what you have done? You are killing the city. No wonder people look at us and think of us as incompetent fools. Thank you. Look at the difference between our recovery and that of Mississippi. You are driving people out of this state. Of course, I don't think that you care.

People here are always complaining that Americans are forgetting about them. Well, what do you expect when you yourself have forgotten. Americans aren't forgetting, they are just seeing clearly. New Orleans deserves what she gets.