Friday, September 09, 2005

Journal entries continue

Aug. 30, 2005

Bruce, Chris and Jim have just returned from surveying the office. Everything is lost. The water from the Storm surge was over 5 feet inside of the office. It is so upsetting to think of everything that was there.

The morning, though, we found out how blessed we were personally. Our house was spared any significant damage. A window was broken in our dining room and there was minor damage to the roof above Georgie's room. Our roof lost many shingles and, in one spot, plywood was exposed. I am breathing a huge sigh of relief.

I cannot say the same about my mom's house. Of course, we can only speculate. The news coming out of that side of town is not good. Nothing encouraging has been said, except that the old 5 mile bridge seems to have been spared. The Twin Span bridge has been washed away in many areas.

The word is that we will not have electricity for up to 2 months.

My current concerns are too many to mention. I worry about the kids' schooling. They just started last week. I doubt they will be back in school before 2 months is up. I even worry that J and N, who own their school, will choose not to re-open this year, if at all.

As I watch TV, I learn that casualties are everywhere. This is just horrific. Absolutely horrific! I will never stay for another storm again.

It is also amazing, though, how many people are turning to and speaking openly of God.

This is a warzone. I can't believe the reports coming out of New Orleans. And as I sit here, I can hear sirens all around the city of Slidell.

Will life ever return to normal? Thank God I can turn to His strength because I have none of my own.